*Hey girl, hey. Just so you know my posts may contain affiliate links, which means if you buy something through the links, I’ll make a small commission (at no cost to you). I'll only recommend products that I've actually used*
I love cuban food. I grew up mostly in Miami, so I’m constantly craving it. One of my favorite recipes is Vaca Frita. Normally, Vaca Frita is shredded and fried flank steak. It is served usually with rice, black beans, and plaintains. It’s amazing. I didn’t feel like steak so I opted for chicken. After trial and error, I finally came up with a recipe that works. Let me know what you think.
- Chicken breasts
- Mojo marinade- Badia makes the best
- Chicken broth
- Yellow or white onion
- Canola oil or veggie oil
- 2 limes
- 1/4 tsp. Oregano
- 1/4 tsp. Cumin
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1/4 tsp.Black pepper
- Yellow Rice or spicy yellow rice (my favorite)
- Black beans
Cooking the Chicken:
- Season chicken breast with oregano, cumin, and half a cup of mojo marinade. Refrigerate 30 for 30 mins.
- In a medium saucepan, add chicken breasts. Make sure it lays side by side and not overlap. Cover chicken with chicken broth (about two cups) as well as a half a cup of the mojo marinade.
- Bring the broth to a boil. Once it starts boiling, lower heat to medium-low. Cover. Simmer chicken for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, check chicken make sure internal temperature is at least 165 degrees. Remove chicken from liquid and let cool.
- When chicken is cooled enough, shred chicken.
For Vaca Frita.
- Slice onion. Doesn’t matter how
- In a large bowl, combine onions, shredded chicken, salt, pepper and 1 1/2 cup of mojo marinade. Toss.
- Let sit for 20-30 mins. The chicken should absorb the mojo marinade.
- Heat your canola or veggie oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium- high heat.
- When oil and pan is hot, add one layer of the chicken and onion. Make sure the layer is even.
- Cook chicken and onions for 5-6 minutes. Do not mix or stir. The mojo liquid will evaporate and the chicken will become crispy and browned.
- With a large spatula, start flipping the chicken. Try not to stir. Take it section, by section until all chicken is browned. Cook for another 2 minutes ( it will cook faster since the liquid has been cooked out). Make sure it does not burn.
- Remove chicken and onions from pan. Should be cripy but not burned. Squeeze lime over chicken
Serve with black beans, rice (Iprefer spicy yellow rice), and plantains. Enjoy. Tell me what you think!